Executables are available for Windows. For other operating systems, please download the cross-platform source code and compile it locally. We are glad to host executables for other operating systems here; contact us once you've compiled the source for your platform.This edition was made with Trolltech's QT and was created by Miquel Fire. Due to QT's license for open source products, this edition uses GPL instead of the LGPL that the other editions use.
Download the desktop edition from here
PasswordMaker Desktop Edition can be installed in one of the following ways:
- Windows installer. Most Windows users should take this route.
- Windows zip. If you don't want to (or can't) run the installer.
- Windows Portable Zip. For running off a portable (USB / Firewire / eSATA) drive. All this version does differently is store its settings in a subdirectory called data. The zip file will extract to a directory called PasswordMaker Portable.
In order to compile this edition of PasswordMaker, you will need:
- QT 4.3+ with the XML, DB (with SQLite driver), and Script modules enabled.
- (Optional) mHash. Using mHash disable the use of HMAC-SHA-256 Version 1.5.2 due to the nature of the bug with this version, but is faster. On Windows, you'll notice that there are precompiled libraries for mHash to use.
For now, just read the build.txt that comes with the source to compile this edition.
Once installed, you just launch the program. When you need to get a password for a site, just:
- copy and paste the URL into the Input URL field, and
- enter you master password.
Please note, currently as of version 0.4, there is no method to save the master password as there is in the much more advanced Firefox version. You should have the generated password ready for use now.
Changing Default Settings
You can change the parameters use to generate passwords by click on the Edit Defaults button.
Here you can choose which parts of the Input URL PasswordMaker can use.
The parameters in this tab control how PasswordMaker generates its password.
- The Username field may be used to fill in a username in other editions. You can use this to keep compatible with other editions, and (when multiple account support is added) use it to remind yourself of the username you used on a site.
- The Use l33t and l33t Level fields control how PasswordMaker uses l33t routines when creating passwords. Please note using after generation can introduce characters you may not want into your generated password. Using it before generation also causes the master password to be case insensitive.
- The Hash Algorithm field tells PasswordMaker which hash algorithm to use. Please note, using an mHash built version will not have the HMAC-SHA-256 Version 1.5.2 algorithm on the list because it's currently not supported that way, and may never be.
- The Password Length field tells PasswordMaker how long to make the password.
- The Characters field tells PasswordMaker what characters it should use to make the generated password. You may need to edit this a bit to get it working correctly.
- The Modifier field is just another bit of text you can use to change the generated password. Mainly used for sites that require you to change your password once in a while.
- The Password Prefix and Password Suffix fields allows you to have parts of the password have set characters.
Importing and Exporting
This edition of PasswordMaker is the first to use a new XML format for importing and exporting.
It also uses this format internally for keeping its settings.
It should be noted that its export method is non-destructive in that it will read the file first, and only update the data it uses.
- Added Settings dialog. (Note, these do not import/export to RDF currently)
- Fixed bug with arbitrary length passwords.
- Added message boxes for importing and exporting.
- Fixed password settings being lost when starting.
- Fixed using URL bug (wasn't used at times)
- Precompiled is now statically built to not need the dlls files any more (and results in a slightly smaller download)
- A new portable version is released
- A better installer (Note, uninstall 0.1 if you have it)
- Can now minimize to the system tray.
- Fixed issue with URL not working correctly with only two domain segments (like http://passwordmaker.org/ only generating org in the using URL field)
- QSA replaced with a faster QtScript (and reduce the dependencies by one)